Valuable quotes

"No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow." ~~



"The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you've already lost." ~~



Cree Prophecy - "When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money." ~~


Monday, October 30, 2006

Gordie's Reckless Daughter



I always remember my mother hollering from the front door..."If you get hit by a car and die, young lady, I'm going to kill you!" Well, the funny thing about that was that I never thought about the absurdity of the remark; I was more worried about her killing me than a car doing it. I knew I was safe in the road, otherwise I wouldn't have been out there. But my Mom when she was mad? Ho boy! That was a real nightmare!

I always knew I'd be alright no matter what I endeavored to do, I was just that sure of myself. Whether it was hanging from the rafters of a barn or walking rooftops playing pirates, I was as sure-footed as your most able-bodied cat. And it's an amazing thing...when you're that confident of yourself, you are infallible. Even if you slip up and nearly plunge from whatever precipice you're enjoying, your confidence gives you the ability to gain purchase and save your hide. From senselessly diving off a cliff into unknown waters, to racing down a mountainside without knowing where it ended, the thought that it may be dangerous never once crossed my mind. Amazing as it seems, I did survive this and now sit to blog about it.

All these things go through my mind today as I think again of Steve Irwin and the unsafe things he did almost daily. And now he is no longer with us because he was taken doing something that was considered safe by everyone. It almost makes me nervous to sit on my chair.

No comments: