Valuable quotes

"No person is your friend who demands your silence, or denies your right to grow." ~~



"The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you've already lost." ~~



Cree Prophecy - "When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money." ~~


Sunday, April 08, 2007

"My name is Ginger and I am a treehugger"...




Yeah, I’m a treehugger.

For so many years I have mumbled the phrase almost as an apology when people ask me what I thought about the newest mall going in or the latest space being cleared for yet another golf course. I would feel saddened by the news, but try to hide that fact from the person that asked, knowing they expected a much different answer than the one I was about to give. I would always just smile politely or even try feigning excitement at the news. Was I being a traitor to myself and the causes I care about by doing that? Yes - and I won’t do it any longer.

The question is still there, however. Why am I made to feel badly for caring about the state of the earth and her inhabitants? Where did that attitude toward us start; those of us who give a damn about more than just the latest clothing on the runways of the fashion world. Clothing that is in all likelihood, made in third world countries under questionable work practices and using materials filled with herbicides, pesticides and toxic dyes. Why do people roll their eyes heavenward & smirk when I don’t show a whole lot of interest in what movies are showing up in theaters every week or who was seeing/sleeping with who in Hollywood? I do notice celebrities, don’t get me wrong. I notice the ones who have the same concerns as I do, and I also notice they generally get the same treatment that I do for it. I remain baffled, but I will applaud them here. That they deserve. There are so many that I am limited of course, but at least I can show my appreciation to a few.

There is long time actor-conservationist,
Robert Redford and actor-activist, Leonardo Dicaprio, super model/eco-style queen, Summer Rayne Oakes, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, (Natural Resources Defense Council, Waterkeeper Alliance & Trust for Public Land). I dare not mention Angelina Jolie who works so hard with the UNHCR and was given the Church World Service Immigration and Refugee Program Humanitarian Award. Another smirk there because all anyone really wants to say about her is “She stole Brad from Jen.”
Talk about focus.

Musicians have long been on a course to improve and repair the damage done by developers and commerce too.
MUSE was formed back in the 1979 and is still going, stronger than ever today. Bono and his wife Ali Hewson with their clothing line Edun. Safe clothing made by people who construct them while working under good conditions and for a fair wage. And using cottons grown under good conditions and free from poisons. Yet so many people will curl a lip or chuckle softly when they hear of people trying to help animals that are threatened or bring about an awareness to the problems the earth faces right now. This is not a bad thing to do nor is it a bad thing to be.

These things didn’t start yesterday. They started decades ago. And perhaps they wouldn’t be here at all today if our lip-curling ancestors had done their part to guard against these things happening back then. It’s something that affects us all, but they are still willing to sit back and do nothing but sneer at the people who are trying so hard to make their world better for them!

I belong to so many causes today of which I am proud, and I’m amazed that anyone can still make me feel I should be apologizing for that. I hear so many alibis for not doing things to help. “I don’t have the time” – “I don’t have the money”.
Well, neither did I really; but I made it. So much of what we can do costs nothing and will, in fact, save us money eventually.

The length of time it takes to sign your name to a petition that will change things for the better or email your representative is so very little to ask. There are so many ways to help and it is so appreciated by those willing to do your work for you. If you’re not sure where to start, let me help.
You have an opportunity to take action the Arctic Refuge by going to SaveBioGems.org

One of the very best places to get informed about almost everything is at
Treehugger.com where you can find out about efficient cars and appliances, clothing, science and architecture – all things that you don’t have to live without, just change which brands you buy and what products you use.

So we've established the clothes aren’t ugly or tasteless as you've seen at Edun and the cars and motorcycles aren't slow as you can see by visiting these vehicle sites. Check out this cutie L3 Enigma, a vehicle that could take you from coast to coast on 33 gallons of fuel. Or the Toyota FT-HS with it's 400 hp rivaling the 'Vette. No, they're not here yet, but it won't be long...



There is even ways to lend your support without getting off your duff if that’s what you’re looking for. If all you’re willing to do is take a survey, then that’s appreciated too. Knowing how people feel or what they expect, helps those of us more willing to give of our time to get those things done.

TreeHugger is a fast-growing web magazine, dedicated to everything that has a modern aesthetic yet is environmentally responsible. Their influential audience stops by frequently to check out the latest news, reviews and recommendations for modern yet green products and services. Consumers also rely on the directory to help facilitate their buying processes. TreeHugger is the most effective way for us to find well designed products that are also ecologically sensitive.

The Sundance Channel also has many ways to help make smart decisions.

You can also do a very painless thing by just visiting The Live Earth Pledge Tree site and making a pledge to help keep things alive and well. If you can change a light bulb, you can do this!

And lastly, it also wouldn't hurt to visit Planetsave.com and educate yourself to all the other alternatives you have today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

u don't need to apologise to me. i care too. i work at petsmart every weekend and just signed up for the treehugger newsletter now. i also volunteer at the bloodbanks and for cleaning the beach. i think your blog is great.